Friday, August 4, 2017

Faux and Real Risotto

Have you heard all of the hub-bub surrounding riced cauliflower? 
Apparently it is such the rage in certain areas, that stores are limiting the number of bags one can purchase.
Really.
Seriously, this is so easy to make at home and I venture to guess, less expensive as well.
Simply cut the head of cauliflower in quarters, cut the core out and break into pieces.
Toss in a food processor, pulse several times until it is the consistency you like.
Done.
For my processor, it usually takes two or three batches to rice the entire head.
I place all in a plastic container with a dry paper towel or napkin directly on top, cover with a lid and store in the fridge.
The paper towel, keeps the moisture at bay and helps it stay fresh longer.
(I wrap heads of lettuce in paper towels as well)
Although, the way I am eating this cauliflower, it rarely lasts a week.
My latest concoction was a Faux Crab Risotto.
Our girls love risotto, so I used this opportunity to try to make two versions at the same time....one with rice and cheese and one with riced cauliflower.
My plan of attack was to gather my ingredients and start the risotto.
When the rice was nearly cooked, I sautéed a fresh from the garden tomato and zucchini...very lightly with PAM.
I then placed 1/2 of that mixture in the rice with some corn.
I added crab ...imitation because it's what I had in the freezer... to both pans
I tossed in 2 cups of riced cauliflower and  stirred until hot.
I don't like mushy cauliflower, so it really takes just a couple minutes.
The top is real and the lower pan is faux
I added cheese to the real risotto and salt and white pepper to taste to both pans.
The verdict?
It was very tasty.
And while it isn't the ooey, gooey cheesy, creamy risotto I adore, it was fresh, nutritious, and VERY filling.
A sprinkle of Parmesan cheese to top it off would have been perfection.
But, I'm out.
I wonder what other concoctions I can come up with.

1 comment:

Kelleyn Rothaermel said...

Looks fantastic! I want to try the fried califlower version suppose to replace fried rice! We love Califlower! Have a a great week!