Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Egg Clouds?

I first saw "Egg Clouds" a few days ago on a morning news show.
The hosts were simply tasting food items...no recipe or detailed description, but when they both raved, I was intrigued.
Turns out these things are all the rage on Pinterist and there are umpteen versions.
Just Google "egg clouds".
With the plethora of eggs we have around here, I thought I'd give it a go.
If you are queasy in the area of runny egg yolks, look away, now.
There are oodles and oodles of recipes with cheese, bacon, chives, seasoning, etc. in the egg whites, but I decided to keep it simple and basic the first time. 
I whipped up two egg whites with a pinch of salt, until stiff peaks formed.
I divided the whites into two mounds on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and formed a well in each.
I was also multitasking and apparently couldn't stand still long enough for the camera to click before moving.
Oops.

These went into a preheated, 450* degree oven for 3 minutes.
Then, the reserved egg yolk slid into the well and back into the oven for 3 more minutes
While I adore a runny yolk, jiggly egg whites, creep me out.

I had neglected to remove a tiny amount of white with the yolk when separating and that part wasn't set, so another minute, which was better. 

 The verdict?  
These are tasty. 
They would be really tummy with the cheese and bacon as well, or maybe some cayenne in the whites. 
They would also  be great to serve for a lot of people at once.

The possibilities are endless, but what surprised me was they feel more filling than a plain egg...scrambled or fried. 
So tell me.
Have you heard of or tried Egg Clouds?


2 comments:

Michelle said...

I saw these in an article, but haven't tried them. I really don't like meringue and that is what they remind me of, by appearance anyway. Don't know if I will try to make them.

Melinda said...

Never heard of them - or seen them. But they are really impressive! Not many eggs here this spring - our older hens aren't producing much and the younger ones haven't started yet.