Thursday, November 24, 2016

Thankful, I Am

As a little girl, we spent Thanksgiving in Dunsmuir with my Grandparents. 
I don't remember the food particularly, but I remember the family.  
The coziness. 
 The laughter. 
The feeling of gratitude for being together.  
I vividly remember the conversation and the tears that followed when I learned that after we moved here  
(in the 5th grade)
we would no longer be able to make the much longer drive to Dunsmuir for Thanksgiving. 
I could not begin to imagine how Thanksgiving was possible in any place other than at Grandma's table. 
 Looking back, I wonder if she felt the same way? 
 I wonder if my Dad felt the same way?
Grandma's candy dish holds a special spot on my Thanksgiving mantel now.

 Over the years, new traditions were made and Thanksgiving in our own home was pretty sweet. 

   Life happens. 
Kids grow up and move out and on.
It's what we raise them to do. 
It is as it should be. 
 But, as a Mom, I must admit that it stings a bit.
My nephew will not be able to come home this year for Thanksgiving. 
Our daughter will be celebrating her Thanksgiving feast in Northern Ireland with monks. 
And yet,  I sit here with tears filling my eyes for the things I am thankful for this year.
I am thankful that while my nephew will be away, his home will be filled to the brim with family. Mari and her family will be staying with my sister and we will gather on Thanksgiving to celebrate.
I am thankful that LPP is surrounded by new friends who have become family and that she will be sharing Aunt Nell's Apple Butter with them.
I am thankful that we have had a bit of rain.
I am thankful for my parents who endlessly and selflessly support and love us.
I am thankful for failed selfies.

 I am thankful for the people that God places in our path...we may not always notice, but when we do, it is powerful stuff.
I am thankful for a husband who puts up with me.
I am thankful that my babies....all of whom are or very shortly will be taller than me...are healthy.
I am thankful that on Friday I can play my Christmas music without being grumbled at that it is too early.
I am thankful for the memories of  past Thanksgivings filled with all those we loved and am thankful for the chance to make new memories.
Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: