Friday, November 18, 2016

A Quick Grab and Go Snack

I am always on the lookout for easy recipes that I can make and freeze in individual portions.  
It just makes snacks and harried breakfasts easier.  
The other nice thing is that with only one child at home, it makes dinner on the evenings her Dad has a meeting easy.  
I know how to cook well for numerous people.  
Not so great at cooking in small batches.
So...this recipe was posted on FB awhile ago and I immediately tried it.  
I had everything in the fridge or garden, so all the better.

I sliced up the spinach and tomatoes and whisked salt and pepper into the egg whites, sprayed the muffin tins with Pam and assembled them.
I put the spinach in first, topped the the maters and poured the seasoned egg whites into each cup. 
I did use a fork to wiggle the spinach around a bit.
 
I popped them into a preheated oven and in 15-20 minutes, I had lovely, fluffy yumminess.
 
  I did freeze some to see if they would work.  
They are best if you have time to thaw them before reheating.  
A bit rubbery if placed in the micro while frozen, but would work in a pinch and certainly healthier that a donut!
I do think some fresh basil with the spinach or red pepper flakes in the egg whites would be tasty as well.

 
What's your favorite quick snack?

Italian  Egg Muffins
2 cups fresh chopped spinach
1 Roma Tomato, diced ( I used two small ones from the garden)
2 cups liquid egg whites (or 8 egg whites)
Salt and Pepper to taste.

Season the egg whites with S and P, whisking until smooth and combined.
Divide the spinach into lightly greased muffin pans.
Top with tomatoes.
Pour egg white mixture over all, using a fork to move the spinach a bit to incorporate.
Bake 350* until set.
15-20 minutes.
Run a knife around each muffin to help release. 
 Pop muffins out and enjoy!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

These look great and totally something I would make. Absolutely better than a doughnut.