Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Most Importantly, Music

Plato said, “I would teach children music, physics, and philosophy; but most importantly music, for the patterns in music and all the arts are the keys to learning”
I think children instinctively have a love for music and art.
They are not afraid to make what adults only hear as noise or see as a mess. 
They relish playing for others and it is how we as adults react that can quell that spark.
Growing up, my sister and I, along with Amy and Carl were cheered by our parents when we broke out the recorders and triangles for parades down the street.
And they obviously had no problems with our creative attire. 
Thankfully, my Mom and Mrs. Ohs both understood the importance of letting us be kids and make noise.
 It was part of us discovering who we were and what our passions may be.
I fell into a quelling pattern with Chris.
The boy was a born drummer.
I heard noise, saw drummer attitude and pushed him toward an instrument he didn't care about.
One of my parenting regrets.
It seems like yesterday that these 4 were marching around our yard putting on a show.
Their only care in the world was having fun, playing a tune and putting on a show.
(The drummer here is my nephew...not my poor son whose dreams I smooshed)

video
Now three of them are in college and the littlest one is unafraid to play a solo in front of an audience a bit larger than her parents.
 
video
Whether she continues to play through high school or not is yet to be decided, but the confidence gained and pride she felt can not be substituted.
 

No comments: