Thursday, November 26, 2015

A Look Back at Thanksgivings

When I was little girl, Thanksgiving was almost always spent here.
 
At my Grandma's house in Dunsmuir. 
 It's funny that I still think of Thanksgiving at Grandma's as being the norm even thought there have been almost 40 Thanksgivings since that were not celebrated there. 
Childhood memories are powerful things,
Wow.
This was taken with Grandma, Dad, myself and Chris in December 1994.
Thanksgiving, for me, has always been one of my favorite holidays.
The smells.
The colors of the trees.
The food.
The time spent with those we love, reminiscing about the past and looking toward the future.
.
The anticipation of the Christmas season without the rush that the following days will bring.
With our own kidnicks growing up and moving away, some tweaking of celebrations is taking place on both sides of our family. 
 We gathered last night with my hubby's family and while seeing the college kids together and mingling with the new generation was awesome, a vital part of the previous generation was missing. 
 Today, my sister and her family, along with our parents will be together.
Perfection.
Here's a look back at our past gatherings.
 
November 27, 2014
This still makes me laugh.
Step 8 makes me think Yoda was invited.
 
November 28, 2013
The words my mom finds to accompany her photos are always spot on.
This was no exception.
 
November 27, 2012
This post shows precisely why I love Thanksgiving.
Precisely.
 
November 26, 2011
As I look at this family photo taken only 4 years ago, I am in awe of what has transpired since.
On one hand, it seem to have passed in a flash...on the other hand, a lifetime ago.
What truly matters is that we are ALL together again.
Makes me one happy girl.
 
November 25, 2010
As I pulled up this post, I smiled at the topic.
When I started today's  writing, I spoke of my childhood memories at my Grandma's house.
It seems apropos that I end it in the same vein.
 And the photo I was looking for 5 years ago it the one I included today.
(That trip still deserves a post of its own...for now, imagine a brand new mother...a new baby... extraordinarily patient grandparents and an 8 hour car ride)
I do believe my Grandma is with me as I type and remember.
Yet another reason I like Thanksgiving so much.

I pray that you are your family and friends take moment to give thanks for what you have.
Loved ones may not be sharing in your celebration in a tangible way, but they are there in the most important way.

Happy Thanksgiving.

 

1 comment:

twistedfencepost said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours on the west coast from our crew on the east coast.