Monday, July 20, 2015

It's the Little Things

As I sit here in the dark with the window open, I am listening to rain. 
Yes, rain. 
 It is still dark, so I don't know how much, but I know the grass is soaking it up. 
It might even be enough to allow it to turn green again and not be crunchy under my feet. 
 I know the plants in the yard are breathing it in through clean leaves. It is a good thing.
A blessing.
I have neglected my camera this summer. 
It has been used for very little. 
We have been running around nearly nonstop for the past few weeks and I have fallen into Instagram and my phone to record the happenings. 
The little, every day things.
Patriotic pancakes for the Fourth made my youngest grin.
 
Her chalk art at the beach-house was still there when I snuck away last week. 
It made me grin.
 
After a discussion with my sister and her family on movies, I chose several to introduce to my kidnicks that they had not seen. 
This is one of my all time favorites.
 I had not seen it in years, but I still cry at the same spot every time.


I also came to the conclusion that watching "Silence of the Lambs" and "Amityville Horror" in the same day was not a good choice.
 Don't worry, I only corrupted my 18 year old with that combo.
Sorting through a storage unit has provided numerous spinning occasions in her Grandma's dance costumes.
My grandmother and mother were second to none as master seamstresses.

We have also come across things that instantly transport me back to my childhood.
Bones was the dog that rode to work with his master on the back of his motorcycle.
Final preparations are underway for the Queen debut next month. 
The statues need some tweaking since I just learned they need to stand on a table during Mass.
Can't have St. Anthony falling over.
Spending a few days at the beach with all of us is a rare treat. 
School and work schedules make it tricky.
It took three vehicles and some fine tuning of schedules, but it happened. 
Three played golf while this one and I hung out at the beach. 
She went nonstop for 6 hours. 
Boogie boarding and body surfing only broken up by nourishment.
Pretty great day.


She and I returned home Saturday morning...checked on critters and the water tank before setting out to start school shopping. 
In the history of school shopping with my kidnicks, never have we been finished in two stores. Never.
Ever.
We had fantastic luck at Old Navy this year. 
 The shorts were not shorty shorts.
The shirts actually covered tummies and shoulders.
 A quick trip to Super Target for shoes and socks and we are officially done.
And what does every successful school shopping trip require afterward? 
A fashion show.
But....before that happened, I got a call from our neighbor that a pickup and trailer had just wrapped itself around a tree in our orchard. 
 Yup.
Thankfully no one was hurt.
No other vehicles were involved and the two child seats in the back of the truck were unoccupied. 
It could have been so much worse.


























Not sure Mr. Walnut Tree thinks so though.
The sun has now come up and it appears the rain has passed, but the leaves are clean.
The grass is not covered with a layer of dust.
With the tragedies that surround us, focusing on the little things can make all the difference in the world.
 

Happy Monday!


 

No comments: