Friday, June 26, 2015

My Sparse Garden

 
Gardening this summer has never looked so bleak. 
A very busy spring and the lack of water has not catered to much of a veggie garden.
The tomato came up from seed as did the sunflowers. 
 
We did have a lovely crop of kale and leeks, though. 
 After washing and blanching the kale, I squeezed a cup full at a time dry and then did a rough chop.
 
  I then froze it with my favorite method...large muffin tins. 
They are then stored in freezer bags so I can pop one out for soup or a casserole throughout the year.
 
After cleaning and chopping the leeks, I dried them kitchen towels and flash froze them on cookie sheets. 
These are now in large canning jars in the freezer which makes it a cinch to grab a few for garnish or a handful as needed.
And the taters. 
 Is there anything in the garden that is so much fun to harvest? 
It is like a treasure hunt digging through the dirt.
  Fun stuff.
 
 I am planning on putting a couple easy things in this weekend that we gobble up, but not much more than that.
Still praying for rain and sane politicians.
 

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Flash freezing and baggies up the fruits/veggies is my favorite way to preserve things from the garden.

twistedfencepost said...

You are so much further along than I am. Just yesterday I harvested my 1st cucumber. It's the only thing I've harvested so far.
s