Thursday, April 16, 2015

This Man

I have been married to this man for half of my life...we were married when I was 14, by the way.
 
 Anywhoooo...I'd be lying if I said each of those years were completely blissful, but they have been real. 
 Real life with kids...
real life with stress, struggles and laughter...
real life with joy and sorrow. 
Blissfully real. 
Recently an internet friend (that sounds so creepy, but it's not) posted the following. 
 It has stayed on my heart since.
 I wake up in the middle of the night with these questions in my mind.
 
When was the last time I...
...sincerely praised my companion?
...earnestly plead in faith or prayed for him in prayer?
...stopped myself before I said something hurtful?
...apologized and asked for forgiveness?...
...chose to be happy rather than demanding to be right?
 
Yikes. 
When I first read this, the last line is what hit home the hardest...and most painfully, I fear.
(I like to be right...not my best quality)
I then went back and read each line again and have renewed my spiritual commitment to this man.
It is so easy to get caught up with the shuttling of kids, attending meetings, working (at home or in the field), helping with schoolwork, cooking, cleaning (which I occasionally do) that there is little to no energy left at the end of the day for the two people who CHOSE each other.
He is my blissful reality and deserves to be treated as such.
 

2 comments:

Michelle said...

This post is a wonderful reminder of what is important in a marriage. Respect for your spouse. Wonderful words today!

klutzymama said...

This post gave me chills. First, to be able to say that you've been and STAYED married to the same man since you were 14 is unheard of today. That is amazing. Congratulations! You are so right on all of the points you listed...honoring the commitment you made to each other through the good AND the bad, no matter what, is something that few are willing to actually do today.