Tuesday, November 4, 2014

My Duty

Today reaffirms the fact that I am proud to be an American. 
 Regardless whether or not I agree with certain policies or the people in power, I am free to have and voice those opinions. 
I have the privilege and right to vote. 
As an American, I believe it is my duty to do so.
Several years ago, our precinct switched to mail in only.
The day I received our ballots in the mail, a party representative called the house about 5:30pm.
He was super nice and polite and asked if I had received our mail in ballots yet. 
I assured him they had arrived that afternoon. 
He then asked if I would please fill them out as soon as possible and mail them in.
I asked if after dinner was soon enough.
 Long pause.
"Yes, that would be fun." 
I learned a few days ago, that, at least in California, I can determine whether my ballot was received and "good" by going here.
That makes me feel better.
While I miss entering the booth to cast my vote, I vote. 
Always.
No excuses. 
 Ever. 
Our kids have been raised with that belief as well. 
 It boggles my mind that in the next presidential election, two of my babies will be old enough to cast their official vote. 
They have a say.
They hold some power.
The next generation.
Wow.
While today is a vital piece of what makes us a great country, I will not miss the abundant phone calls, commercials and mailings. 
 I wish I had thought to save all of these.
My mail lady said that even she has never seen the volume of printed political ads in this election.
Crazy money spent.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Crazy money spent indeed. I love our democratic system, but this is one thing I'd love to see changed. Happy Election Day!

Wanda Cox - Wellness With Wanda said...

Crazy money spent indeed. I love our democratic system, but this is one thing I'd love to see changed. Happy Election Day!