Monday, November 24, 2014

A Quick and Easy Side Dish

I made a super easy side dish that the girls really enjoyed. 
They thought the orange pieces were sweet taters, and I did not correct them until it was all gone.  Sneaky, I know.
Anyway, it is Pioneer Woman's recipe and I rarely have gone wrong with those. 
 Super easy.
I diced half a butternut squash and threw it into a skillet with some olive oil and a bit of butter.
To this I added the salt and pepper and a dash of cayenne. 
 Ree used chili powder, but my jar was empty and I was to lazy to refill it then.
Anywhoo...cooked the squash...errrrrrr sweet tater until there was a yummy golden color and then removed it from the pan....a tad more olive oil (she used more butter) and I added the kale to the skillet. 
I like using kale because it keeps some texture and body, unlike spinach that would have wilted into nothingness.
 
 
Throw the squash back in with the kale until hot and serve. 
P.W. also suggested other serving options...with risotto, pasta, quesadillas.
I served it as a side and loved it. 
It is a keeper. 
 
 We'll see if it is consumed with as much gusto now that they know it is the dreaded squash.





1 comment:

Melinda said...

Yummy! I have several butternut squash to use up from the garden. I made it into squash fries the other day but messed up the seasoning. They were so salty they were almost inedible! oops!