Friday, October 24, 2014

Visiting the Past

Earlier this week, Lollipop Pop and her high school golf team, after winning their league, played in the Area Tourney. 
 It took place in the town north of us. 
The town in which my Dad and his family moved to when they first came to California. 
The cemetery is where all four of my Great Grandparents are buried as well as my paternal grandparents. 
I had not been in many years and wanted to make the time to do so before golf.
  My ever supportive Hubby agreed and off we went. 
While I never knew any of my Great Grandparents, they are with my each day.
  The organ that I have, was originally given to Emily as a wedding present from HER parents. 

 It was treasured by her  and then her granddaughter, my Aunt Jan who passed it on to me. 
I was and am still honored beyond words.
I think Emily would be pleased that it is still loved and cared for after so many years.

Many of the stories that my Grandma shared about her family were hilarious. 
 I need to sit down with my Dad and write them down. 
I wonder if my cousins would write the ones they know down too....you know who you are.
 What a gift to pass down to future generations.
As I was trimming grass from Delia Mariah's gravestone, I got a wet footprint on it...lousy picture.
Growing up, I always adored her sister's names...
Sarah Carolina
Sophronia Elizabeth...
 Ethel Pearl Lillian.
They sounded romantic and exotic for some reason.
  This guy's lineage is far reaching and exciting....Civil War Veteran and is also the tie to the American Revolution!


And of course, the two people whom if not for, I would not exist.
 Granddad died when I was a little girl but my memories of him are vivid...just not enough of them.  My Grandma on the other hand was every girl's dream of a grandma. 
She was loving, funny, energetic and made the BEST Oatmeal Raisin cookies on the planet.
I was blessed to know her as an adult as well and I miss her.
What a great lady she was. 
 

No comments: