Friday, June 27, 2014

Successes, Failures and a Recipe Link

Sugar Plum Fairy's contest cabbage is no more. 
 With the combination of 100*+ temps, a replant and a persistent gopher, it didn't stand much of a chance.
We decided it was time to harvest. 
Cole slaw would be on the menu. 
I didn't want to have a coleslaw slathered in a mayo dressing and I remembered seeing a slaw with mango. 
Having saved it to Pinterest, it was easy to locate and since mango is one of my daughter's favorite fruits, I knew she would enjoy it.
For the complete recipe, go here.
(She has gobs of great recipes!)
 I did improvise a bit because I was out of carrots...who is ever out of carrots?
 I julienned an Armenian cucumber from the garden and grabbed a handful of chives to substitute for the scallions. 
 Other than also forgetting to add the sesame seeds, it was identical to Gina's.
It was delicious! 
The dressing is one I will use often.
All in all, a softball size cabbage, some improvising, and we had a success.
Lining the baking tray with foil that cooked the short ribs, not so much a success. 
 Not sure I can save the pan.
It is STILL soaking.


We saw this sign in Santa Barbara and I laughed out loud.

I embarrassed my girls.
THAT was a success!


1 comment:

Windy Meadows Farm said...

That slaw looks great! Sorry about the gophers...and replanting in this heat is no fun. Good choice to enjoy it now!