Tuesday, April 15, 2014

The New Garden

I shared the beginning of our garden building adventure a few days ago.
I got the boxes built and Lollipop Pop and I squared and lined them up.
  I had 4 cubic yards of soil delivered on Friday afternoon. 
At this point I began to think I may have bitten off more than I could chew.
 Hubby would be out of town until Sunday and I was not sure we were going to be able to move this to the back. 
Especially before he returned.
What I had not figured into the project is how much of a help Lollipop Pop would be. 
That girl stepped up and worked hard. 
She lugged wheelbarrow after wheelbarrow without a single complaint.
 Each bed took three wheelbarrows full. 
 The trek to the back is mostly over grass and rough. 
The bed with the cabbage was also an issue. 
 It was part of the garden we had last year...before I had "the" garden vision. 
It was filled with soil and turned the opposite direction. 
 My eldest daughter took the soil out and together we repositioned  and refilled the bed as well as helping Sugar Plum Fairy replant her cabbage. 
She is hoping to enter it in a contest in the fall.
We also unearthed two walnuts that had been dropped by birds and begun to sprout. 
 They are now in the pot for the time being and have become a science project.

  By Friday night, we were pooped and made it an early evening. 
 Saturday morning was filled the ACT test and Catechism class before coming home after lunch to finish. 
We also replenished the trough. 
With the additional beds,
I am able to make this strictly for herbs.
I am thrilled.
Hubby had called earlier in the day and was planning on coming home Saturday instead of Sunday...but wanted to surprise the girls. 
So I pushed,  kept us all focused and we had a clean driveway, filled and planted beds before he arrived. 
We did it!
And the girls were, indeed, surprised.
 Woo Hoo!!!!
The girls gave their Dad the tour and he asked me if I want a picket fence around the garden. 
Yes, please.
It will then be perfect.



2 comments:

Weekend-Windup said...

Wonderful work done by you and your girls in the garden.
Hard work never fails! Your garden looks very neat and beautiful.

Melinda said...

The beds look great! I can just imagine the sore muscles!