Thursday, January 30, 2014

Cooking Like It's Cold

We are not only in the midst of a drought around here, the temps are in the 70's.
While much of the country is freezing their tails off, we are watching trees budding...in January....not good.
I am a cold weather girl and look forward to cozy days in front of the fireplace and soups and stews. 
Well, while a fire in the fireplace would necessitate the air conditioner being turned on, I am cooking as if it were cold.
I am always on the lookout for crock pot recipes and healthy ones are an added bonus!
  They just make the evenings filled with meetings, games and practices easier. 
Dinner is always hot and ready when we get home. 
I discovered a Winter Squash Chili recently and have made it a couple times. 
 I froze part of this last batch into large muffin tins for quick lunches.
  The original recipe calls for corn, which I omitted and I did not sauté the veggies as the original mentions. 
 I just dump it all in and call it good...the onions stay a bit crunchy, so if that bothers you, sauté first.
 
 The first time I made this, I used butternut squash and it had a decidedly squash flavor, which one member of my family doesn't care for. 
This time, I used a kabocha squash. 
I had never had one before and I really liked it. 
 It held up to the long cooking time and had the texture more like a sweet potato in the end. 
I was impressed.
Served with a bit of cheese and sour cream and it was gobbled up by everyone.
 
Here is how I make it, but check out the original as well.

Winter Squash Chili
1/2  large yellow onion, chopped
1 large red bell pepper, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 butternut or kabocha squash - about 1 pound, peeled, seeded and diced
2 (16 oz.) cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup frozen corn
1 teaspoon salt
2 (14.5 oz.) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (4 oz.) can chopped green chiles, undrained
(I used a 7oz can this time because that's all I had...perfectly fine)
 
Dump all in a slow cooker and stir to combine.
Cover, and cook on LOW for 8 hours or until chili is thick and squash is softened.
Enjoy.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

That sounds like a good recipe. Especially with the squash.