Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Soup Weather

We actually had rain yesterday...started out to be a bit of a disappointment with literally 7 drops at our home but the temps were much cooler and fall was definitely in the air. 
 Soup was a must for dinner. 
Clam Chowder was the soup requested by everyone in the house. 
My Mom's Clam Chowder recipe rivals most any other. 
 It begins with bacon and ends with 1/2 and 1/2. 
How could it taste anything but fantastic?
 I knew I was not going to partake in the chowder...I am very close to my life long, live forever weight (Thanks LLU and my refocus, hard work and dedication) and I knew if I had a taste, I would not stop. 
I had been wanting to try a healthy broccoli soup, so I threw a few items in a pot and hoped for the best. 
It was not my Mom's Clam Chowder, but it was tasty nonetheless.

 
Creamless Cream of Broccoli Soup
1 cup broccoli florets
1 cup Cannellini Beans (drained)
1 cup chicken stock (I had homemade, but any would work)
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/2 (scant) tsp. salt
Put all but salt and pepper in a small pot and cover with lid. 
Cook on medium high heat for about 5 minutes. 
You want the broccoli to be fork tender, but still be vibrant green.
(There is nothing much worse, in my opinion,than broccoli that has been cooked to death.
Blend all in a blender (make sure you vent your blender lid to let steam escape) or use an immersion blender and puree until desired consistency. 
Add salt and pepper. 
Some cayenne might be nice for some heat as well.
Enjoy.
The weather also decided, after our dinner, that it might as well complete the promise of rain. 
We were treated to a thunder and lightening storm complete with a gully washer! 
Love, Love, Love!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

This sounds wonderful to me.