Thursday, September 26, 2013

Turkey Manicotti

Do you have recipes that are loved almost into illegibility? 
You know, the food splattered ones?
The ones that the ink has run and are wrinkled?  
 Well, this is one of those. 
 My sister first made this for me years and years ago...the date on her forwarded E-Mail is 2000...I think. 

Turkey Manicotti
1 pound ground turkey
1/2 onion, chopped
1 tsp. fresh garlic, crushed
1 pkg. manicotti noodles (Also works well with lasagna noodles)
16 ounces nonfat cottage cheese (This is the only thing I use cottage cheese for.  If you are not a fan, like I am not, trust me...this works)
1 pound low-fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 jar spaghetti sauce. (homemade works well)
 
Cook turkey, onion and garlic.
Set aside to cool.
Boil noodles in salted water for 8 minutes...rinse in cold water and drain.
In a bowl, mix together cottage and mozzarella cheeses. 
Combine with turkey mixture. 
Stuff mixture into cooked noodles.
(or layer between lasagna noodles...three noodle layers to two filling layers works nicely)
Cover with spaghetti sauce.
Cover with foil and bake 350* for 45 minutes. (Or freeze uncooked)

No comments: