Saturday, August 10, 2013

Onion Soup Mix

Eating healthy foods has become part of who I am and what I prepare for my family. 
Am I perfect?
Not in the slightest. 
Do I have a slice of cheesecake with my daughter when we go school shopping? 
Yup.
I do like to cook with real food and not processed foods, though and have added three dry mixes to my pantry...
Ranch Dressing Mix,
Taco Seasoning and this...Dry Onion Soup Mix.
 
Jen's Dry Onion Soup Mix
2/3 cup dried minced onion
  3 teaspoons parsley flakes
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons turmeric
1 teaspoon celery seed
1 teaspoon sea salt
  1/2 teaspoon ground pepper

 I mix in a small Mason jar and store in the pantry. 
The recipe suggests that 4TBL is equal to 1 packet of the processed stuff...
It is very oniony, so use as your taste dictates.
 
I sprinkle a tablespoon over a sweet tater, 2 carrots and mushrooms (coat lightly with olive oil).
Toss and spread on a baking sheet...425* for 40 minutes or so until tender.
 
I have also added a heaping tablespoon to a 8 oz. container of Greek Yogurt for a dip. 
The color is more yellow (from the Tumeric) than the store bought stuff, but very tangy and tasty.

Making up a set of mixes for a hostess gift is easy and inexpensive. 
 

The best part of making these at home from scratch is that every ingredient is something I can pronounce. 
(When I taught cooking in 4-H, I stressed that fact by having the kids read
...out loud...
the ingredients on the processed version of what we were making.)
 
Knowledge and awareness is power.
That is key in my opinion. 
 
 I will share the other two in a few days...this week has been nuts around here...
 
For your information, here is the ingredient list from the pre-packages soup mix.
 
Onions, Salt, Corn Starch, Sugar, Corn Syrup Solids, Caramel Color, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Yeast Extract, Monosodium Glutamate, Natural Flavors Disodium Inosinate and Disodium Guanylate.
 

2 comments:

Sarah Schwall said...

Thanks so much for sharing! I see recipes like this all the time but never try it - I trust your judgement, so I will give this a try! I can't wait for the ranch mix!!

Thanks for sharing!!

Jerry E Beuterbaugh said...

"The Nuthouse Five" has been included in the A Sunday Drive for this week. Be assured that I hope this helps to point even more new visitors in your direction.

http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2013/08/a-sunday-drive_11.html