Sunday, May 26, 2013

A Celebration

 The Portuguese Celebration was today and the weather could not have been more perfect. 
 I talked about this tradition  that includes  Sopas a couple years ago.  
This celebration marks the beginning of the celebration "season" and is in my husband's home town a few miles away. 
 Now this town has a whopping 2,500 people...many of Azorean descent.
There are Queens and Princesses from other towns who walk in a parade that is 4 blocks long.  
The capes that the girls wear are very elaborate, heavy and gorgeous!


















The parade is complete with a Portuguese Band. 
 Very Cool.


After the Sopas feast...and the playing the American and Portuguese National Anthems...


...the auction begins...dolls, gift baskets and a dairy goat all decked out...not sure of the reason behind this.  
The most important part of this day is spending it with family. 
 My mother in law still enjoys going and any opportunity to spend time with her is very special.
 I posted this picture on FB earlier...my husband just asked where Sugar Plum Fairy is? 
 Ummmm....in front of my mother in law and Lollipop Pop!  
See her? 
 Drats!

1 comment:

Cheltz said...

Wow, this is awesome! How cool to have so many people celebrating their heritage near you! My husband went to Portugal on his mission. He would love this!