Wednesday, February 20, 2013

A Laundry Revamp...Part 1

I have had this project in my mind for several years.  
I think I am ready to tackle it.  
This room measures a whopping 5' X 7.5'.  There is an awesome built in cabinet that houses the hamper as well and towels, paper products, light bulbs, etc.  

It is great but cuts into the overall laundry room space. 
There are a few things I love in here...the aforementioned built in as well as the two cabinets above the washer and dryer.  
They are difficult to reach but will stay the same, except the color. 
 I am going to paint them white. 
I know...many people get upset with painting oak cabinets, but I am not an oak person and since I am the one working in here most of the time, I am painting the cabinets.  
I love the wrapping paper holder I made. 
 It sits behind the door and really is great.  
Wrapping Christmas gifts was easier than in the past when I was known to shove into a closet and close the door quickly before it fell out.  
Yeah, that's me.  
Anyway, I love this and it works well.
The room has a small window that actually lets a lot of light in. 
I like the rod that I hung up between the cabinets for hangers, but need it higher...wonder why I haven't done that yet.
I like the color of the room which is a sea foamy green one, but the kids all think the walls are white.  Need to have their eyes checked.  
If I paint the walls, I would have to move the appliances out and that requires doors being taken off of hinges and putting air in the dollie's tires.
I am also going to place a counter just above the appliances that touches the back wall.  You would be amazed at all the stuff that falls in that gap.  
Ughghgh......
(Oh, Beck, the green dress on the dryer is the one I want to give to your daughter if she likes the color.)
I want to take the fluorescent light box out...


 and make one of these.

Clothespin Light

Love them both!
I did get started last weekend.  
This corner is a strange one.  
The drop down shelf is being used here as a holder for the broom and dustpan.  
Lovely.
The old ammo boxes are being painted a bright white and will sit on the counter with detergents in them.
The broom, mop and bucket have found new homes.

I made certain that this shelf was indeed going to go away one last time.  
It is very difficult to raise and lower in the first place.  
When it is up, it comes very close to the dryer


The door fits under it...

...and it does offer a bit more folding room...but that CORNER hurts heads!

So it is gone!
I have been reading and planning  and am ready...I think.


4 comments:

Cheltz said...

Looks like fun!

Michelle said...

Can't wait to see your finished product. I LOVE the clothespin chandelier!!!!

Denice said...

I can't wait to see what you do.

twistedfencepost said...

Can't wait to see how it looks! And I love those chandeliers, too!