Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Treasure Boxes and a Foccocia Recipe

This week has been another busy one...seems they are all busy these days. 
 I had our final 4-H Mini Member meeting last week and splitting the group into two has helped on one hand, but it does double the number of meetings I have and number of days that I have kiddos in my home.  
I also hosted one/two cooking meetings on the same days...In other words, 4 meetings in two days and a total of 27 kids. 
 Yup.  
The Mini's each had a plain, unfinished wooden box.  

They learned how to sand each box with different sandpapers.  The course paper was used in an attempt to remove the stickiness of the tags...this drives me nuts! 
There should be different types of glue on stickers depending on the type of surface to which they will be attached.
Once the boxes were smooth and even, the kids learned how to use a tack cloth and then went to town with rubber stamps.

  
Some kids knew exactly what they wanted and prepared their box accordingly....Legos, hair bows, rock collections. 
 Once the ink was dry, they applied a paste wax over the entire box.  

I think the boxes are cute and hopefully something the members will be able to use.


The Cooking Group learned how to make Foccocia and it was a huge hit!  
The photos are horrid, as I had to take the shots at night before the bread disappeared!

I made a batch of the yeast dough prior to the kids arriving so they could learn how to indent the dough with olive oil dipped fingers and sprinkle with seasonings after the rising.

 We used a basic seasoning that I received in Norway years ago.
It is still yummy and makes me think of a wonderful family. 
While that bread was baking, I taught the members to prepare the dough as well as how to set a table. 


We also taught the kids several different napkin folds.  
It was fun and the bread came from the oven just as we finished. 
Seriously yummy and so very easy!  




Foccocia
Step 1: Drizzle 2 TBL oil in the bottom of a 9X13 pan
Step 2: Combine the following and beat on high for 1 minute with electric mixer:
                 1 1/2 cups warm water
                 1 TBL dry active yeast
                 3 TBL olive oil + some to drizzle over top and in bottom of pan
                 1 1/4 tsp. salt
                 3 1/2 cup flour
                 Seasonings for topping (garlic salt, basil or pizza seasoning would be great)
Step 3: Spread the batter into the prepared pan, cover and let rest at room temperature for one hour.
Step 4: Preheat oven to 375*
Step 5: Dip fingers in olive oil and gently poke fingers over the top of dough to make indentations
Step 6: Bake 30—35 minutes until golden.
Step 7 Remove from oven, wait 5 minutes to turn out onto a rack.  Serve warm or at room temper

3 comments:

Cheltz said...

Wow! That's a lot of meetings and kids. Looks like things turned out cute/delicious!

Country Gal said...

Love the treasure boxes! I can't wait to try the foccocia recipe! Yum!

twistedfencepost said...

YUM!
Those treasure boxes are a great idea. My son has a "treasure box" that was made by my dad. It is a treasure in itself.
I'm with you on the glue thing! Drives me nuts!!