Wednesday, January 16, 2013

4-H and a Marinara Recipe

Last week, I tried an experiment with my two 4-H groups.  
I have 15 kidnicks in my cooking project and 12 more in my Mini Member group.  
Several families have a child in both projects. 
Before Christmas, I had one meeting for each group on 2 different nights...too many kids in my kitchen at one time.  It was chaotic, not organized, kids couldn't see or hear or participate.  Last week, I had half of the Minis come at 4:00pm and then half the cooking kids came at 5:00pm.  
I did the same thing for the other half on Friday.  
The siblings came on the same day and stayed for both.  
Those older kids ended  up helping me with the minis (making marshmallows and then dipping them in chocolate) and I had a game set up for the minis to play when they were finished.  
I am doubling my work for this, but it worked out so much better for the kids.  
They were able to cut and stir and and questions. 
THAT is what I was striving for.  
The cooking project members learned how to make Marinara Sauce from scratch.  
Being the dead of winter, we did use canned tomatoes, but I taught them how to prepare fresh ones in the summer.  
This recipe is an easy and basic one but can be doctored up easily to suit your taste.  
Enjoy.



Marinara Sauce 
(adapted from Mountain Mama Cooks' recipe)

Step 1: Finely chop:
2 stalks celery              4  carrots                 1 small onion     
Step 2: Heat 1 TBL olive oil over medium high heat and add celery, carrot and onion. Turn heat to medium low and saut√© for 10 minutes, stirring often.
Step 3: Add 2 cloves minced garlic and cook 1 minute more.
Step 4: Turn heat up to medium high and add 1/4 cup chicken broth. Bring to a simmer and reduce for 5 minutes.
Step 5: Pour in 2 cans (28 ounces each) crushed tomatoes.  Fill 1 can 1/2 way with water and pour back and forth between cans to remove any tomatoes from can. Pour into sauce. Add 1 TBL honey
Step 6: Bring sauce to a simmer and reduce heat to low...cover partially with a lid. Simmer for 45 minutes. Season with 1/2 tsp. salt. (Cooking this sauce longer only makes it better)
At this point you can add seasoned, cooked, ground beef or sausage and herbs.  
This also freezes well.

1 comment:

Cheltz said...

I'm really impressed with your 4-H work. Glad you got a less stressful/more comfortable plan for using your kitchen worked out :).