Saturday, December 22, 2012

Museum Tour

We have a museum in our town that is housed in a...well...house. 
 
It was built in 1891 and only one family ever lived in it.
The home was given to the city upon the youngest daughter's death in 1970 and opened to the public as a museum.
The house is decorated completely with the family's belongings and those are very interesting as they were well travelled. 
 
 I have been through the home numerous times and even had my high school senior pictures taken in the garden...which is lovely...the garden...not necessarily the pictures.  Anyway, Sugar Plum Fairy has wanted to see the house at Christmas and this year, I remembered. 
There are candlelight tours in early December, but since the house is said to be haunted (a fact I haven't mentioned to my youngest) I knew I would never get Lollipop Pop to come with us at night.
The headless mannequin at the head of the table creeped both girls out.

I have always loved the kitchen and it is interesting to see some of the same things we use today.

I must say that this canary has been in this cage for eons and has always creeped me out a bit as well.

The family owned a saloon in town and as well in which the son Ed helped run.
It would be nice if operators of cash registers today had to be trained...not being able to count change is a pet peeve of mine.
 
Ed was also said to have been friends with Jesse James. Ed was a bootlegger during Prohibition and mysteriously died while riding his horse....
This chair is where the son in law was shot and killed...by a woman. 
Quite the scandal in 1917. 
His room is also said to be quite active in the ghostly realm...wonder if that is why this photo is so odd.
 
After touring the house and playing with my teenage daughter's head, we wandered through the gardens. 
 
 
 They are so pretty in the spring, and even after some freezing nights there were some blossoms here and there.
 
 





 














All in all, it was a pretty perfect afternoon.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Wonder what they feed that canary? **snicker**
Interesting place. Quite a bit of scandalous history there.