Thursday, December 20, 2012

Goodie Bags and Recipes

One of my favorite parts of Christmas is planning and making gifts for our neighbors.  I always make fudge and after that, it varies from year to year.  I found these cute little plastic buckets at Target in their dollar area a couple weeks ago. 
 I bought red, green and silver ones on the spot. 
I then realized I wanted more and hightailed it back...seems other people liked them too. 
There were only 3 silver and a whole bunch of blue ones left. 
I left the poor blue ones in the store and came home to begin my work. 
Sugar Plum Fairy and I make the dog treats and while the scent when baking them is not unpleasant, it is distinct.
You might not want to make them prior to company coming over.
 

 This granola is my favorite recipe and so yummy spooned over yogurt.
 


 I decided to make several different candies this year and layer them in the buckets. 
The Peppermint Fudge  and Chocolate Fudge are creamy and tasty. 
The Truffles are, well...divine.
And the "Thin Mint" cookie could not be any more simple.
Grab a bag of Mint Kisses and melt them. 
They melt very easily and smoothly. 
Then take a Ritz Cracker, dip in the chocolate to cover...let excess chocolate drip off, place on a cooling rack and set in Fridge to harden. 
 I know...quite technical, huh?
One bag of Kisses will cover one sleeve of crackers. 


I am very pleased with the result and hope the recipients will be as well.
Peppermint Fudge
Melt 1.75 bags of white chocolate chips over low heat with 1 can of sweetened condensed milk.  When creamy and smooth, stir in 1 cup crushed candy canes. Spread in a pan lined with parchment paper to cool. 
 
Chocolate Fudge
Melt together 1 package semisweet chocolate chips, 3/4 bag of butterscotch chips along with 1 can sweetened condensed milk.  Add 1 cup chopped walnuts and continue as above.
 
Oreo Truffles
Combine 1 bag of Oreos with 1 8oz. package of softened cream cheese in a food processor. 
 If you don't use softened cream cheese, you will say mean and nasty things to your machine and doubt your sister's wisdom in the recipe. 
Persevere and you will have created a luscious treat.


5 comments:

Michelle said...

Your goodie bags look so good and I really like how you packaged them.

Cheltz said...

They look delicious!

Melinda said...

Stop already! I gained another 5 pounds just reading this! Yummo!

Denice said...

Oh my...these look DELISH!

Becky said...

Those treats look yummy!
I seen those clear paint cans at our local Target, too.
I should have snatched up a few. ***sigh***