Sunday, November 25, 2012

Pomegranates

I remember as a kid sitting with friends down the street picking the seeds from pomegranates for the first time. 
Messy and fun. 
 
Pomegranates rapidly became one of my favorite fruits, however peeling, picking through them and then cleaning the kitchen afterward was not fun. 
Last night, I shared with my sister and family a new way to gain access to the yumminess.
They all knew the trick! 
Hmmmm...guess I don't get out much.
Anyway, in case there is one other person who was in the dark about this, here you go.
Place cut side of the pomegranate in your hand over a bowl.

Whack the bejeebers out of it with the back of a spoon and the seeds magically fall through your fingers into the bowl. (And yes, I stood in the kitchen with the camera around my neck trying to figure out how to snap a pic of that)
There still is a bit a mess on the counters, but I think the color matched perfectly with the stray piece of pumpkin I am still finding from 4-H and the pieces of rice noodles from our soup.
There is also very little of the membrane that falls into the bowl, either.
This new fangled trick that I just learned works like a charm!
Happy Sunday!

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Love these! They are so good!

Cheltz said...

I didn't know this trick. In fact, I've always been kind intimidated by pomegranates. I should give it a go!

Karen Deborah said...

I didn't know this trick! My mama wouldn't let us eat these because of the mess and I felt so deprived as a kid. HA! I'm going to go get some and start whacking!!!

Becky said...

I didn't know this trick, either. Mostly because I have never eaten one or anything with pomegratate in it. Maybe it's time I do something about that. When the time comes I'll know what to do. Thanks!