Monday, November 12, 2012

Apples and Thankulness

Last week I took a drive into the foothills for fresh apples. 
For $5.00 a box, I was so thrilled, I came home with two huge boxes.
Making Aunt Nells' Apple Butter was a priority and my stash of applesauce in the freezer had dwindled to nothing.
Aunt Nell's Apple Butter is one of my all time favorite smells and tastes in the world. It begins with cooking the apples until soft in water...
 
...and then smooshing them through a colander. It was at this time that I began to fret and decided that using a colander was literally going to take me until Easter to finish.
I didn't have that kind of time and I wanted this done in time for Christmas. 
 
 
 I called my Mommy who saved the day...again. 
I am so thankful that my Mom understands my fretting on many levels. 
Anyway, I raced over to her house (again, thankful that she lives within racing distance)
...and returned with her food mill...which I still have not returned.  Oops...


May I just say that this tool made the rest of the job easy peasy! 
In no time I had a huge pan filled with the glorious smooshed apples.
After adding the spices, sugar and cider, it was time to put it in the oven and wait for the magic to happen.
This is truly a labor of love.

After 11 hours of cooking, low and slow, I pulled this lovliness from the oven. 
See how much it has reduced and turned a lovely, dark brown color? 
 I must tell you that the scent is heavenly.
I finished the process of canning these babies and went to bed with the pinging of sealing jars in my head. 
So thankful for days like this.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

It looks so beautiful in those jars!

MoriDawn said...

Jen you are an amazing women love you so O:-)

MoriDawn said...

Jen you are an amazing women love you so O:-)

Melinda said...

Love the smell of apples cooking! They were hard to come by around here this year because of the drought.