Thursday, September 27, 2012

What is it?

Last week while watch Lollipop Pop play golf, I noticed  grapefruit size, chartreuse colored orbs littering the ground in several places.  Upon further investigation and traipsing through a water logged patch of grass, I gathered one from under a ginormous tree that was filled with more. 
They are slightly sticky on the outside, solid and quite heavy. 
My hubby grabbed two more to bring home...neither of us had ever seen anything like them before. 
As soon as I tried cutting one of them open, a milky white and VERY STICKY substance poured out. 
Any ideas without looking it up? 
 Do you have these in your neck of the woods?

4 comments:

Melinda said...

Those my sweet friend are hedge apples. They are the seed pod of a Osage orange tree. Entirely inedible for humans - but some people swear that they repel spiders. (They don't)Around here - kids pick them to sell to big buyers who resell them to grocery stores further north where city people snatch them up. They do make a pretty neat decoration - I've even seen them in magazine photo shoots. One neighbor even spray painted some gold and used to decorate for Christmas. The wood of the Osage orange tree (or hedge tree) is super hard and what they use it to make billy clubs for policemen. It also has a really high BTU and is great in wood stoves. We have acres of these trees. :)

Jerry E Beuterbaugh said...

"The Nuthouse Five" has been included in the Sites To See for this week. I hope this helps to point many new visitors in your direction.

http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2012/09/sites-to-see_28.html

P.S. Hedge Apples (the fruit itself) is also good for getting rid of roaches. I can't remember if they are more effective if you split them in two or not, but I do remember that they were most definitely helpful in a house that was infested with roaches before we moved in.

Kim Jarrell Johnson said...

Facinating! Where do these Hedge apples grow? I don't think I have seen them in California.

Becky said...

I ran across some of these a few years ago and like you had no idea what they were. They are called hedge apples over here.