Monday, August 13, 2012

It's Over

Summer vacation, that is. 
I remember when I was a child...yes, I had to walk barefoot to school, in the snow, uphill both ways, too...Labor Day marked the end of summer vacation...not the middle of August...earlier in some places. 
It makes me sad, frankly.  
While the bickering and the nonstop fridge raiding by all three of my kids is annoying and frustrating at times, I love having my kids around during the day.  Today, I woke up feeling melancholy...pensive...thoughtful.
This morning, we will be sending our eldest child to high school to begin his Senior year. 
HOW in tarnation did THAT happen? 
Last year flew by and this summer was merely a blip on the radar.
This school year will move at lightning speed, I fear and I will hang on for dear life.  I think my biggest problem is I just don't want to miss anything in these kids' lives and I can't slow it down.

5 comments:

Melinda said...

We must have blinked in May and now it's August. Wow - that went by fast. I'm with you - Labor Day should mark the end of summer!

Michelle said...

We have already been back in school. Teachers, like me, went back at the end of July! Summer always seems to go by fast!

Donnao said...

Growing up in NYC, we always started school the Tuesday after Labor Day. When we moved to PA I was shocked when my son began 10th grade a week earlier. it "felt" like the middle of summer to me! That was our first public school experience as we've been teaching the kids at home since...FOREVER ago :0). He graduated this past June and, along with his big sister head off to college 0_o...yep! Time flies. I know these next 4 years with my younger ones will fly buy! They start HS this fall at home...enjoy 'em while you got 'em :0)!

Tipper said...

Its over here too-and it went by way too fast!

Becky said...

When I was in school we started the day after Labor Day, too. Who changed that rule?!?!?
We start school this coming Wednesday here. And since when did school start in the middle of the week? That doesn't make any sense either.