Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Back to School Party

The end of summer vacation in these parts didn't approach slowly and wind down gradually...no, it hit me with full force and knocked me down! 
The kids have been back to school for 8 days and I am already pooped and somewhat cranky. 
While there are days when all three of my kids are home that I would gladly send them to Siberia, I would always buy them a round trip ticket.
I like having them around. 
We told Shaggy and Lollipop Pop that they could have a "Back to School" party this year before the craziness began. 
I wanted super casual and easy, but didn't want to BBQ hamburgers or hot dogs and I didn't want to spend a fortune.
So, I built the menu around my crock pots...yes, plural and what I had in the freezer.  You might remember this unfortunate event...


Well, not anymore...I now have three crock pots in my arsenal...they are all differing sizes and I am so happy! I know, it doesn't take much. We have a freezer full of pork from the fair.  Hmmm...shredded pork sandwiches would be just the ticket!
I made Pioneer Woman's recipe for Spicy Dr. Pepper Shredded Pork in one crock and simply poured our favorite BBQ Sauce over the roast in another...with onions.
I made a pot of my beans on the stove top and kept them hot in the third crock. 
 I added bowls of sauteed onions and shredded cheese along with fresh rolls from a local Mexican bakery and we were good to go.
I set out a few munchies and the kids ate and played ping pong, football...in and out of the water... basketball and just enjoyed each other....

Garlic Ranch Pretzels on rods rather than nuggets

I didn't go all out on any sort of decorations for this party, but I had to do something...it's in my nature! 
 There were several kids who will be going to college this year, so I copied their new mascots, printed them out on card stock and taped them to the tables. 
Simple and yet showed the kids that they were thought of. 

College...THAT is another post for another time.
Dessert was fun and so easy!
Mason jars are my favorite way to serve desserts for parties. 
I made Deconstructed Lemon Meringue Pies and Cookies and Milk last year. 
This year, a new twist. 
I made homemade ice cream earlier in the week. 
The chocolate ice cream was scooped into tiny mason jars to be served with chocolate cake.
 
Two scoops of the vanilla ice cream was placed in tall, thin jars
 and at party time, brought out in a tub of ice for Root Beer Floats.



The bucket of ice kept the ice cream pretty frozen for quite some time, too. 
 The kids enjoyed it and everything had been done in advance. 
LOVED it!
I loved having all of these kids in our home as well.  They are all polite, hilarious, love to eat and good friends to each other. 
Good times!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

You are awesome! What a wonderful way to start off the school year. I make pork like that too and use root beer.

Tara Sloan said...

Wow! What a fun mom you are!!! Love your ideas... you have me thinking on the fall bash we are planning to throw! :)

Becky said...

You have such good ideas! I'm thinking about having a Halloween Party and I think those root beer floats would be a great idea!!