Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Turkey Veggie Bolognese

One of the most helpful aspects of LLU is the Steal A Meal feature.  This is a page where recipes are posted from coaches and members.  Before being posted, each recipe is approved and the nutritional value as well as the percentage of protein/carbs and fat are noted.  I posted Jayme's Turkey Sausage here and this is another go to that is a favorite of mine.  The original used ground chicken, which is harder for me to find sometimes and I am usually too lazy to grind my own.  Anyway, here is how I tweaked the original and now make it.

Turkey Veggie Bolognese
1 package ground turkey (mine comes in a 20 ounce package)
side note to my grocery store...the reason you are so often OUT of 99%/1% turkey and have a plethora of 93%/7% packages is because  people want and therefor BUY all the 99%/1% turkey...please order more...also please teach your baggers to not put things like my raw turkey on top of my fresh produce...thank you!


1 garlic clove, minced or chopped
2 - 4 mushrooms (If you have a choosy eater in your family who does not enjoy mushrooms, dice these very small and they all but melt into the final dish unseen)
1 large tomato, diced (same applies to the tomato as the mushrooms)
2 cups fresh green beans, cut into 1 - 1.5 inch pieces
2 cups fresh carrots, diced
2 ounces tomato paste


Crumble the turkey in a large pan over medium high heat until browned.  Add garlic, mushrooms and tomatoes.  Depending on the juiciness of the tomato, I usually 1/4 - 1/2 cup water...just enough to keep from sticking to the pan.

Add the tomato paste and carrots.  Lower temperature, cover and cook 3 minutes.  Add beans and cook an additional 3- 5 minutes, covered, just until carrots and beans are softened. 
Serve over steamed cauliflower or pasta.
Enjoy.
Linking up here:

4 comments:

Jayme, The Coop Keeper said...

Girl - where has this been all my life? Ha! Never saw this recipe. Looks awesome. Guess what I'm planning? A trip to California. yep. Hoping for January. I will meet you and hug the stuffins out of you...what's left. ; -)

Michelle said...

This sounds so good. I like seeing all of those veggies in it too.

Denice said...

So making this!!!!! And yes on the turkey deal....never enough to be found in that ratio of fat...gggrr

Janie Fox said...

I am so making this. I need to use that steal-a-meal more!!