Thursday, July 26, 2012

Are your Creative Juices Flowing?



"Boys are beyond the range of anybody’s sure understanding, at least when they are between the ages of 18 months and 90 years.”

— James Thurber, writer


I have agreed to be the Mini Member Leader for 4-H for one more year and I need your help.
Mini Members are typically kids between the ages of 5 and 9 who are interested in 4-H but aren't old enough to be a full fledged member.  This is to give them an idea of what the group is all about.  I like to have 3 "meetings" in the year for them. In the past, we have have had some successes
 
 
 
 
 
 
..and some duds. 
 
 
 
The issue I am having is that last year, I had 11 kidnicks...9 of them were boys.  The attention span and energy level were off the charts.  I will have one meeting be in conjunction with my Cooking Project...killing two birds with one stone.
This is where I need your creative minds...do you have any ideas on a craft type project that would appeal to boys and can be done in about one hour?
The end result would then be entered into two of our local fairs in the spring.
I am open to any thoughts.
Please?
Thank you.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

birdhouses are always fun to make. They can be pre cut and then the kids pound them together and even paint them if they want.

Kimberly Rae said...

what about one of those ant farm things??? boys love bugs and such...

Anonymous said...

I was a Den Leader for 11 Cub Scouts for 5 years.... oh the good times...

We had a blast coming up with a theme and then making a table center piece. Everybody gets input and everybody gets to work on it.

~Rebecca

Becky said...

Once I had my hubby cut a small dead cedar tree up crosswise which gave me circular pieces I then drilled holes in for a ribbon hanger. Then we used colored puffy glue to paint pictures like bells, stars, stocking.....for Christmas ornaments. With the date on the back. The were really cute and smelled so good!