Friday, June 15, 2012

A Versatile Recipe

The most versatile dinner ever!  Years ago, my sister shared a recipe with me that became a staple in our house. I was working part time and it was perfect on those days...I love coming home from a day out to a home that smells of yumminess. This is the original recipe:

Chicken Chili
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts

1 (16 ounce) jar salsa
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 (15 oz) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste

Place all of this in the crock pot. Many times, I place it all in the pot the night before with frozen chicken and let it defrost until morning in the fridge.  If they are still slightly frozen...no worries!
Easy Peasy.
Cook on low for 6ish hours.
Take two forks and shred chicken apart and add:
1 (11 oz) can Mexican-style corn
1 (15 oz) can pinto beans
Let this cook a couple hours until ready to serve.

I like the different textures of the beans...one very soft and mashable and the other more firm and bean like. 

This usually feeds our family for 2 meals. I serve it the first night as chili...we add toppings like cheese, tomatoes, sour cream...whatever.
For the second meal, I reheat mixture in a saucepan and let some of the juices evaporate and we make tacos.



When I began Leanness Lifestyle, I saw that Jayme had posted her version.
The Coopkeeper's Cilantro Lime Chicken
3 Cups Salsa
Juice Of 1 Lime
1/4 Cup Cilantro, Raw
8 Tsp Taco Seasoning
2 Pound Chicken Breast

I throw everything in the crockpot and cook on low 6-8 hours. 
Shred chicken as above and serve over a bed of  cauliflower rice (finely chop a head of cauli and steam or micro until soft.)

This is also yummy cold the following day over a bed of greens and veggies for a salad.

 I began playing with my own version of this recipe. I wanted to keep it within my new, healthy way of living with the versatility to add pasta for my family and came up with this.

Jen's Quick and Versatile Italian Chicken Concoction
Slice one onion and place in bottom of crockpot.
Toss in 3-4 garlic cloves, whole
Add a can of fire roasted, diced tomatoes on top.
Place 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts(sprinkled with a bit of salt and a liberal sprinkling of pepper) on top and add one more can of fire roasted maters.

At this point walk out to your garden for a handful of fresh basil...discover that in the craziness of May, you FORGOT TO PLANT BASIL! 
Seriously. 
Cry
Pull yourself up by your bootstraps (no basil around here is a tragedy!), pick 3-4 sprigs of Rosemary and stick in and around the concoction.


Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
Serve over pasta or spaghetti squash.

Enjoy
I am linking up today with one of my favorite bloggers. Becky is a talented artist and a sweet person.  If you haven't visited her before, you MUST...you will get some terrific recipes today as well.

feed my family friday

5 comments:

Melinda said...

NO BASIL! That is a tragedy. I cried for you. And for me - since mine is just now sprouting. Bless you for the crock pot recipes. Bless you, bless you. I needed them today!

Farmgirl Paints said...

I KNOW I will make these!! Thank you so much for sharing.

Sarah said...

Your concoction sounds (and looks) great! I will have to try it - and sorry you don't have any basil!

Ellie said...

Don't you just love versatile meals like that? Visiting from Farmgirl Paints.

~Ellie @ beauty4ashes-ellie.blogspot.com

Michelle said...

Always on the lookout for new recipes AND this one is so versatile!