Friday, June 29, 2012

My Go to Breakfast


One of the things that I started implementing without fail while in LLU Boot Camp was to eat breakfast every day.  The funny thing about Boot Camp is that so much of the science behind it incorporates what my Mother taught me growing up.  Eat your veggies...put that soda down...breakfast is  important.
Sheesh! 
Anyway, breakfast for me now is a must, but on busy school mornings it can be tough.  I have always made breakfast for my kids, but I used to push myself to the side and "forgot".  The problem with that mentality is that it set me up for failure.  I would get so hungry by lunchtime that I would shovel anything into my mouth that didn't move. 
Brilliant huh? 
Anyway, the following recipe is a staple in my life now.  This recipe originally came from Jayme. My turkey sausage comes in 20 ounces, not a pound, so I tweek mine just a tad.

Coopkeeper's Sausage ala Jen
20 ounces ground turkey (I generally use the 99% fat free, but 97% will work in a pinch)
2 large egg whites
1/2 cup oatmeal (not instant)
1 small onion (I grate mine...easy peasy)
1 tsp salt (I use kosher or sea)
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp. ground sage
1 tsp cayenne pepper (this has a kick...back off the amount if you like...red pepper flakes also work nicely)

Mix everything together in a bowl until combined.
Form into patties and place on a baking sheet.
I doubled the recipe this time and made 12 patties.  Place pan into freezer until hard and transfer patties to a freezer bag.

These take little time to cook when you are ready.  A lot of times I pull one out and put in a saute pan still frozen, especially if I am going to crumble it.  As the outsice get brown, I crumble that part off and continue.  Adding a chunked up apple to the pan is one of my favorite breakfasts.  Everything gets browned and lovely...quick, easy and nutritious.
Another favorite is what I call a hash...not really, I guess, but that's what I call it anyway.
Crumble one sausage patty in pan and add diced muchrooms.
  I added two of the baby portabellos here.  I also added a palmful of the oven dried tomatoes from the freezer that I made last summer.
When everything is nice and golden,

  add one or two cups fresh spinach to the pan. 
Once it begins to wilt, stir to combine and voila...the perfect, healthy and quicky breakfast.
Let me know if you try this.



 I am linking up with Becky today. She is sharing her Mom's Lemon Bar recipe...yum!




feed my family friday

5 comments:

Farmgirl Paints said...

oh my goodness that looks good...and healthy. i can only imagine how it smelled!! thanks for linking up girlie.

Michelle said...

That looks GOOD! Love the addition of the mushrooms!

Ashli said...

Looks super tasty, can't wait to try it!

The Little House That Grew said...

Pete was looking over my shoulder this morning as I was reading your blog and he is dying to try this...so...off to the grocery store we go! Thanks for sharing! It looks delicious.

Becky said...

That sausage looks delicious!!!