Thursday, May 24, 2012

It's Over




Coach has a saying, "Focus on exceptional rather than perfection" and that is one I struggle with.  I teach our children that there is no such thing as perfection, so why do I beat myself up over things that aren't perfect? 
I have no idea! 
 Anyway, our judicial system is no different and while it may not be perfect, it is quite exceptional and I would not want to live in any other society.  Without going into great detail of the case I sat on, suffice it to say that it lasted 1 week, involved 2-19 year olds, a social network, the backseat of a truck, 2 allegations and not a single item of evidence. It was a he said, she said case. 
All 12 jurors must agree.
On one count we all did.
One one count 11 of us did. 
For almost a full day of deliberation we tried to prove our points.  The lone juror stated that she knew what she knew because she had watched Oprah. 
Mistrial. 
Dang! 
Is the system perfect?
Heck, no.
Should Miss Oprah fan have been selected in the first place?
Heck, no.
Is it frustrating?
Absolutely.
But, I would have it no other way, in the whole scope of things.

1 comment:

Becky said...

As imperfect as our judicial system is I agree that I would rather not live in another society.