Thursday, April 26, 2012

Lollipop Pop is 15!


Several years ago, I began a new tradition to celebrate each of our kidnicks a bit more than usual. I place photos of the birthday child throughout the house for the entire month they were born.  Lollipop Pop was an April baby, so it was all about her. I don't go too crazy, but it is fun to walk through the house and see her at various ages and be reminded what a true blessing she is in our lives.





Two years ago, I also started the "birthday box".


 Each year, I glue a current picture of the birthday kidnick on one half of a card stock square.  The other half has a set of questions printed on it.  Then the birthday son or daughter answers those questions. They then reside in the birthday box that has been decorated (the cards, not the birthday son or daughter).  The intent is to create a memento that they will be able to take with them when they are on their own.  I wish I had learned of this when Shaggy and Lollipop Pop were little, but some is better than none.  These are the questions that are on the cards.

How old are you?
Who are your best friends?
What is your favorite movie?
What is your favorite food?
What is your favorite TV show?
What is your favorite book?
What do you like to wear?
What is your favorite vacation spot?
What are your hobbies?
What do you want to be when you grow up?

It really is fun to see how their answers change each year. 


Because of various and numerous activities that were going on last weekend, we improvised on Lollipop Pop's actual birthday - day.  She and a few of her friends went to the movies and came here for dinner and a bonfire.    She didn't want it to be a birthday party, so the menu was basic and the decorations, nil.  A few of the girls then spent the night...the sound of teenage girls laughing and giggling through the night is a sweet sound. 
I placed 15 balloons in her bathroom and boy did she ever jump when she opened the door! 

The following night, we had our family celebration.  Our kidnicks always get to choose the dinner menu on their birthday.  Lollipop Pop chose Pesto Pasta and Garlic Bread.  No one complained...it is a favorite around here.
Her gifts were a huge hit and it also allowed all siblings to be involved...for a bit, at least.


I have mentioned numerous times that I am NOT a baker...
This was deemed the Hurricake and the Earthcake...
...I had no response.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

LOVE the cake! Happy birthday to Ms. Lollipop!

Janie Fox said...

Is that a cake? haha You know me.. I love cake any shape or form...

Becky said...

Happy birthday, Lollipop Pop!
You have such great ideas. Love that birthday box. What fun to open the door to a room full of balloons!
I'll bet that cake still tasted good though!!