Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Shrove Tuesday and a Pancake

Growing up, we always had pancakes on Fat Tuesday, or as I knew it, Shrove Tuesday.  Shrove Tuesday marks the end of the Mardi Gras Season and leads into Ash Wednesday and the 40 days of Lent. 

Fatty foods such as butter and eggs were not eaten during the fasting season of Lent and needed to be consumed or they would spoil.  Thus, pancakes.

Hubby did not grow up with this pancake tradition, but I wanted to share it with my kidnicks this year.  Because I have one child who does not adore pancakes (or like them very much), I found a recipe I knew she would enjoy.


Photo from Tasty Kitchen

I did not add the berries, but this was just the ticket. Lemony, light and my family deemed it delicious. It is cooked in an iron skillet and along with bacon, sausage and hash browns, it was the perfect pancake for our Fat Tuesday Dinner.

3 comments:

klutzymama said...

Oh my...delicious!

Michelle said...

I agree with Klutzymama!

Denice said...

What a great and yummy dinner....fun tradition to do!