Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Eggs and Chickens

We have had 3 chickens laying eggs for exactly one year now.  I still adore having them, although this little lady, Ariana, has a temper.  She is the one who has chased all of us at one time or another and the one who has attacked the puppy twice now.  Her saving grace is that she is the best layer...one nearly every day.



Velma is my favorite because she is purty....she is also becoming a good layer again after molting...she was not purty then.
Daphne is a mystery to me...she used to lay the most gorgeous aqua blue eggs...then she molted.  Being new to the chicken world, I wasn't certain at first and checked for parasites and other possible culprits for her nakedness,  She honestly was an embarrassment to chickens everywhere.  But, we kept loving her and feeding her and after a bit, she grew her feathers back and seemed normal...until she began CROWING!  Yes, I said crowing.  She has not laid a single egg in months, either.  I have found references to hormones being out of whack for a period of time in chickens and they may crow.  Do any of you have any knowledge in this area?  I want a chicken that produces something edible for us.
Speaking of eating, we made a chart last January 30 when we gathered our first egg...Sugar Plum Fairy learned how to count with tally marks and we kept track of each egg for the entire year...

 
The grand total is 569!

6 comments:

Michelle a.k.a. Farmchick said...

Your girls are so sweet and that is A LOT of eggs! Awesome!

Denice said...

This message is for Daphne...Have you heard of Pioneer Woman's fried chicken recipe? DELISH!!!!!



Had to!

Twisted Fencepost said...

A chicken that "CROWS"? That cracks me up!!!
We love fresh eggs here.

momto8 said...

that is a lot of eggs!

Jensamom23 said...

Denice, I choked on my water when I read this. Sugar Plum Fairy was NOT as amused. Twisted Fencepost...glad my crowing, NON-Egg layer "cracked you up". :-)

Tipper said...

That is a lot of eggs : ) I want chickens so bad-maybe soon : ) neat that you used the egss to count!