Saturday, December 31, 2011

New Year's Day

Growing up, we spent Year Year's Day watching the Rose Parade, football and eating...all day long. Mom made gobs of snacky type foods and left them out all afternoon.  We would graze and graze and be stuffed at the end of the day.  My sister does this with her family and I have begun as well.  I planned my menu yesterday and hit the grocery store for the goodies.  Then, this morning,  my smart sister mentioned that the Rose Parade and Bowl games are on on Monday...not Sunday...Really? I guess we will be celebrating New Year's Day on January 2nd...this is certain to mess up my internal calendar at the get go.  I thought I would share what we will be eating and a recipe here and there. 

Pioneer Woman's Burgundy Mushrooms
I make these in the crock pot and they work very well...the house will smell divine, too!

 Kalamata Olive Spread
Process a jar or deli container of Kalamata Olives in food processor until a paste forms. Drizzle Olive Oil in until just spreadable.  This is yummy on a sliced baguette.

The following dip is fantastic, but the memories that accompany it are even better.  I think those memories might deserve a post of their own...for now, the recipe.

Napa Dip
4 ounces cream cheese - softened
1 cup mayonnaise
3/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1 can artichoke hearts , drained well and chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed (I confess to using 2 cloves unless huge)
1/2 tsp dill
Mix all in a bowl.  I have only served this cold but the recipe says it can be hot as well.  Ritz crackers go really well with this.

This is a favorite of mine, but I don't make it often...ringing in the second day of a new year seems appropriate.

Sauteed Shrimp
1 pound jumbo shrimp, peeled, deveined, tail on
1 TBL Herbes de Provence
Salt and fresh pepper
Mix in a bowl to coat shrimp evenly with seasonings. In a large skillet, heat 2 TBL olive oil over medium high heat. Add shrimp in single layer and cook about  2 minutes per side until pink and cooked through.  Remove to serving plate immediately.  Serve with dipping sauce, if desired.

Dipping Sauce
Mix together:
1 1/4 cup plain yogurt
2 TBL Mayonnaise
2 TBL whole grained mustard
1 1/2 TBL maple syrup
1 tsp turmeric
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves (I only add these if basil is available in my garden. Nice, but not a necessity, in my opinion)

The next 2 recipes come with the same memories as does the Napa Dip.  Sheesh....I am such a sentimental sap. I serve the dip and a store bought hummus with fresh veggies.

Allie's Dill Dip
(This makes a ton...I usuallys 1/2 it and make a day ahead)
1 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
1 1/2 cup sour cream
2TBL parsley (I usually use dried)
2 TBL Beaumonde (this is the only recipe I have that uses this)
2 TBL Dill
2 TBL onion, finely diced
Mix all together.  Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.  Keeps for several weeks...truly it does.

Sharon's Spinach Balls (stop laughing)
These freeze wonderfully!
2 pkg. frozen, chopped spinach (thawed and squeezed dry)
2 cups herb seasoned stuffing mix, thoroughly crushed
1 cup (about 5 oz) freshly grated Parmesan
1/4 cup butter, melted
5 green onions, ends trimmed and finely chopped
4 large eggs
1 tsp poultry seasoning mix
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

In a large bowl, combine all well. Shape spinach mixture into into compact 1 inch size balls.  Arrange slightly apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake in a 350* oven for about 20 minutes until golden brown (If freezing, freeze balls uncooked on a sheet pan and store in a freezer bag.  They can then be pulled out as needed and baked) Serve with Mustard Sauce if desired.

Mustard Sauce
Stir together 1/2 cup Dijon Mustard, 1 Cup nonfat sour cream, 1 TBL dry white wine ( I usually omit this) and 3/4 tsp sugar.

I have not made the next recipe in years, but it is so good and the neighbors brought us fresh, raw almonds for Christmas.

Teriyaki Almonds
Melt together:
 1/4 cup butter
2 TBL soy sauce
2 TBL sherry
1/4 - 1/2 tsp ground ginger
Pour over 2 cups almonds.
Bake 325*, stirring occasionally to prevent burning. 
 This usually takes between 15 - 30 minutes until nuts have absorbed the yumminess.  Sprinkle with garlic salt and spread evenly on a brown paper bag to absorb excess butter and cool.  Refrigerate or freeze.

So...there you have it.  After all this food throughout the day, I am planning on making French Onion Soup for dinner...simple and lightish.

May the New Year bring you much happiness and joy. 


2 comments:

Rebcam said...

Yum. We don't have any overlaps. We are snacking both Sunday and Monday; some things will go out both days and others only one.

We are having;
Spinach dip and potato chips/veggies
Mom's warm honey brie
Smoked oysters and crackers
Bacon smoked cheddar and crackers
Pigs in a blanket (Sunday)
Pepperoni Swiss puff pastry botes (Monday)
Corn dip with fritos
Fruit dip with sliced fruit (Sunday)
Chocolate chip cheese ball (Monday)
Chicken wings

Twisted Fencepost said...

I'm sorry....I can't stop laughing! Your "stop laughing" demand made it worse. **snicker** Those all sound delicious, but I'll have to admit that I have never heard of some of those ingredients.