Sunday, December 11, 2011

Mini Members and Sugar Cookies

After our marathon cooking meeting, the Mini Members joined us for some fun. We had already baked sugar cookies and made the icing. Each little person was able to decorate three cookies in anyway they saw fit and take them home. There were some very creative and pretty ones.


I also set out dry ingredients on the table with jars, tags and cookie cutters. I placed a measuring cup or spoon alongside each ingredient. My cooking kidnicks helped each mini member place the proper amount in their jar and tie an instruction tag and cutter on top. It was super fast, fun and once I chiseled the dried icing from my counter, easy!


I made the icing from Big Red Kitchen's kits...her kits are fabulous as well and I made them for gifts last year.

Here is the recipe I used for the Cookie Jars.

Sugar Cookies

1 1/2 cups sugar

1 cup butter

1 egg

2 tsp. vanilla

2 1/2 flour

1 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. cream of tartar

Cream together sugar, butter, vanilla and egg until smooth. Add dry ingredients. Chill dough. Roll 1/4 inch thick and cut out desired shapes. Bake 10 minutes or so at 375*. These will spread if too thick and you might end up with blobbed shaped cookies....tasty, just blobby looking...not that I have done this or anything.

8 comments:

Amy Sullivan said...

Oh, one of my favorite things about this time of year! Sugar cookies and homemade frosting.

Farmchick said...

We also love cookie decorating! A fun thing about the season!

Twisted Fencepost said...

My hubby loves sugar cookies. I've gotta try this one. I've never had any luck with the one's I've tried before.
Is this also the one you can freeze?

Jensamom23 said...

Becky, the dough freezes well...as does the Big Red Kitchen recipe. I haven't tried freezed them once baked.

The Whatever Girlz said...

Jen, just catching up on a couple posts here. I'm so sorry to learn about the gal with cancer. What a blessing to lift her up by meal preparation. I'm sure all the meals you guys made will bring her delicious comfort.

Your cookie and frosting recipes sound wonderful! I haven't baked a thing yet, I better get on that.

Hope you're having a great day!

tipper said...

Such pretty cookies-we haven't gotten to make any yet-but soon I hope!

klutzymama said...

I love it that you let the little ones get involved. I bet they had a great time.

Denice said...

I am so doing these!!! Thank you! Super adorable.