Thursday, November 17, 2011

French Toast Apple Strata

With the holidays coming, planning menus are a must for me in order to keep what little sanity I have left. The following recipe is one I found on All Recipes years ago and has become a family favorite. The ingredients are the same as the original but I put it together a bit differently. Because of it's flavor, I serve it for our Christmas breakfast...Shaggy requests it for his birthday breakfast and because of it's ease in preparing, I have taught my 4-H kids how to make it.


French Toast Apple Strata

1 loaf Cinnamon Raisin Bread

1 (8oz) package cream cheese, softened

2 apples, peeled and diced (I like Granny Smith)

8 eggs

2 1/2 cups half and half

6 TBL melted butter

1/4 cup maple syrup

I begin by spreading the cream cheese evenly on 1/2 of bread slices.


Top with the other 1/2 bread, essentially making sandwiches.



I then cut them into cubes and toss in a greased 9X13 dish along with the diced apples. I have found that by doing this, the cream cheese is evenly distributed throughout the strata.



Whisk together the remaining ingredients and pour over the bread and apples. Press a piece of plastic wrap over all to submerge the bread in the liquid. Cover and let entire thing sit in the fridge overnight. In the morning, preheat your oven to 325* and bake strata uncovered for 45 minutes. Let sit 10 minutes before serving. My family likes this served with warm maple syrup.


I hope you enjoy!

4 comments:

Farmgirl Paints said...

Oh my goodness. I need to print this out. We have company coming. That would be so easy and looked amazing!

Amy Sullivan said...

Um, I could make this while we visit out of town family this week. Perfecto!

Thanks, lady.

Melinda said...

That looks really good! I am always looking for easy make-ahead breakfast dishes!

Twisted Fencepost said...

This sounds and looks so yummy!
I would love it, but my guys would turn their noses up at it. They're so blame picky!!!