Friday, October 28, 2011

What Sewing Has Taught Me.

When Sugar Plum Fairy decided that she wanted to be an Indian for Halloween, I decided that I would make the costume. As I have mentioned, the fabric lady told me sewing was like riding a bicycle and even after the 10+ years since I had sewn, I would be okay. I believed her...kind of. I then procrastinated. After all, as long as I had the fabric, pattern and notions purchased, it would magically appear finished before tonight's Halloween Carnival, right? Nope! I knew I had a worried little girl when she asked me to go home on Tuesday morning and not wait with her before school started. "Mom, PLEASE go home and make my costume....please?" I went...I made...I remembered...

Ceiling Fans are not your friend when pinning the pattern to the fabric...


...reading the directions on the pattern are your friend...acknowledge and respect them...if you don't, you WILL re cut...(not that I know from experience or anything)


I learned that making fun of my mother and grandmother when they could not thread a needle without my help will come back to haunt me. This occurred to me when I had to have Shaggy help me thread the needle.


I learned that the lady in the fabric store was correct and that I have thrilled a 6 year old young lady...in time for the Carnival tonight. (I even made a candy bag)




4 comments:

Farmchick said...

Wow! Excellent work!

Denice said...

OH MY GOSH!!!!!!! Talk about impressed...please don't go into the baby blanket business....I don't need the competition ;)

Emie Kay said...

We've been thinking of you lots this fall. Still thinking you're one of the most amazing moms out there! Blessings on your beautiful family!
emie

Twisted Fencepost said...

I agree with Farmchick....Excellent!!