Thursday, August 18, 2011

Satisfying and Labor of Love




Is there a more satisfying sound in the world than that of a "ping" when canning? I think not. I have made some Jalapeno Jelly for peppers in our garden...the only reason I did not make more is that the store only had one package of pectin! Glad to know others are doing the same thing around town. I have used the recipe from the Los Angeles Time California Cookbook that my sister and her new husband gave me for my birthday when I was newly married...150 thousand years ago! My copy had a broken spine and is falling apart...in my opinion, a sign of a truly loved book.


Anyway, this jelly is yummy!



I also made a hextuple (don't know if that it a word or not) batch of Red Pepper Relish. This is truly a long labor of love that I do once a year. It begins with 12 red bell peppers and 6 sweet onions (these were ginormous...another pretend word, so I only used 5)...



6 cups of sugar, 6 cups of white vinegar and 9 tablespoons red pepper flakes. When making this large a batch, I always worry that it will fit in the pot.







The the waiting game begins. I simmer over a medium heat, stirring occasionally until it cooks down...



...way down. This is after 3 hours...



This is getting closer after 5 hours. There is still too much liquid, though. At this time I stir often as it will begin to stick. Notice the change in color...it turns a beautiful jewel tone.


This is the time when the liquid is nearly gone and the vinegar smell is no longer present. Time to place in jars.



I have kept this in the fridge in unsealed jars for months before. Last year I began canning it and it is just as good. The best combination, in my opinion, is with Wheat Thins spread with whipped cream cheese and this relish on top...seriously... sweet, spicy and creamy...perfection!



(The original recipe calls for 2 bell peppers, 1
sweet onion, 1 cup each of sugar and white vinegar and 3 tablespoons red pepper
flakes...cook approx 30- 45 minutes)


Again...WHY does Blogger add these silly extra spaces? What am I doing wrong?

5 comments:

Janie Fox said...

I think that looks delish. A made up word too. Blogger does that to me if I have an extra space. If you go to that sentence and backspace and then re-do your enter it fixes mine. I always do preview bc it happens so dern much...especially on my lists posts. Either way, I never even notice til you point it out:)

Melinda said...

Gotta love the sound of that PING! I've never even heard of Red Pepper Relish - where have I been hiding?! It sounds wonderful!

Denice said...

People, people, people, you have NO IDEA whst this relish tastes like, NO IDEA!!!!!! This once a year labor of love is one of the reason's I invite myself over.and she serves it beautifully in a tall martini glass with crackers and a fancy spreading spoon...the colors are vibrant and the taste is even more so...(do I get a complimentary jar for saying this :)?)

Denice said...

Ani I meant what not whst..i swear that was blogger that made the mistake..it couldn't have been me of course

Twisted Fencepost said...

I would love to try this reslish! I will be saving this recipe. Thanks!