Tuesday, August 2, 2011

A Pioneer Woman Dinner



Several years ago, my sister introduced me to the world of blogging by turning me on to Pioneer Woman. I did not blog and at the time, knew nothing of it. I would read Ree's blog numerous times a day to make sure I missed nothing. Many of her recipes from the blog have become favorites and when her cookbook was in the works, I pre-ordered copies for myself and my Mom. I sent them to the ranch for her autograph, along with a thank you note for taking the time to sign the books. With that note, I also sent a box of my Mom's Notecards. I was giddy when this was posted! Anyway, Denice has become a fan as well, and since our families love to eat, we thought a PW Dinner night would be fun and delicious and it was. I am such a dork, however, that I took NOT ONE photo of the food!

 

Suffice it to say that everything was a hit and devoured.... Denice made a batch of Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Thingies. She did half with a peach glaze and half with BBQ Sauce...they were both yummy! She also made Pico de Gallo and Guacamole and served them with fantastic chips from Costco..(I must find them...super thin and crisp)

For dinner, I made Pastor Ryan's Mexican Lasagna. While not technically a PW recipe, it was on her blog so I think it counts. I doubled the recipe in order to have extras for the freezer...it makes a ton, so be prepared. Once the meat is cooked and the rice made, it is simply an assembly line process. By doubling the recipe, I made 7 half steamer pans of future dinners. Yeah!!!

Dessert was something to behold. I made her Chocolate Sheet Cake, Peach Crisp and Blueberry Cobbler. (I linked to her original post, rather than just the recipe...fun reading) I make the Chocolate Cake as directed, but bake it in a 9 X 13 pan...takes about 10-15 minutes longer to bake and it decadent! I made the crisp and cobbler in canning jars for individual servings. The Peach Crisp was super and there may or may not have been drinking of the Maple Cream when all was said and done. The Blueberry Cobbler is one recipe I make often and is requested by Shaggy for his birthday instead of a cake.

Jason and Denice's boys are super cute and fun...they loved Shaggy's mad bubble blowing abilities!



What a perfect way to spend a Saturday night...great food and even better friends!



(By the way..the cute "Eat" napkins are from Lemonade Makin' Mama. She will have her Etsy store

re- opened in September after taking a month long break to spend with her family. She is so creative!)

6 comments:

Farmchick said...

Sounds like a fun time. I love PW's recipes.

Twisted Fencepost said...

That sounds like a lot of fun, in the making and the eating.
I'm curious....the blueberry cobbler recipe link is for a blackberry cobbler....did you just replace the blackberries with blueberries?
I would love to make this!

Janie Fox said...

That looked like fun. I want those napkins!

Anonymous said...

Yes it WAS a fantastic evening! All recipes PW! We must do another one sometime. And with so many people following her it makes for a great themed party.

Denice said...

Actually I am not Anonymous, Its me Denice!

Stefanie said...

I love Ree. I have been to the Lodge a few times and she is the greatest.