Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Oven Dried Maters

UPDATE (check bottom for some clarification, please)

I made these last summer and they were a wonderful treat throughout the year. I gather as many ripe cherry tomatoes from the garden as I have, slice them in half (the larger ones were cut in quarters) and add fresh chopped basil, salt and a bit of olive oil. Spread all in a single layer on a sheet pan, and set in a 200* oven the oven for a couple hours. They will shrivel up and look icky, but put in a Mason jar in the freezer. I will continue to do this throughout the summer and just add to the jar. Grabbing a few to add to an omelet or pasta in the dead of winter is a something special!




After I toss everything together, I spread the mixture, cut side up in a single layer...if you just dump it all on the sheet pan, there will be too much juice and will take FOREVER to dry. Once I place the yumminess in the freezer, I just grab what I need from the jar, when I need it and return the jar back to the freezer.

Hope that helps.

6 comments:

klutzymama said...

Yum! Thanks for posting this. I love sun-dried tomatoes, but they are so expensive at the store. I've got cherry tomatoes coming out of my ears, so I'm going to do this!

Leontien said...

Hmm that sure sounds like a good idea, but you can just open the jar every time or do you use a new jar?

thanks!
Leontien

Farmchick said...

I like this! I love the sun dried tomatoes, but like klutzymama, I think they are too expensive. I have a lot of cherry tomatoes too.

Twisted Fencepost said...

My cherry tomato harvest has been so-so. We are getting a little more than we eat. I've just been freezing them as is. Those bright red "marbles" are kinda cute. LOL
I keep hearing about people eating tomatoes and basil together and how wonderful they taste. I've got to try this! Thanks!!

Denice said...

Looks delish!!!thanks martha

Jayme said...

oh that is a great idea! There's nothing like enjoying the fruits of your labor in the middle of winter!