Sunday, August 14, 2011

Am I Ready?



School around these parts starts tomorrow, whether I want it to or not. I don't. However, no one asked me, so I was forced to move forward and get my family prepared. Every year, since Shaggy was in 1st Grade, I have made arrangements so take each child school shopping by themselves. Not only is it easier to focus on the shopping of one child at a time, I get to take each of them to the restaurant of their choice for lunch and visit with them...and only them. I truly look forward to that special time every year. Shaggy and I went several weeks ago and had a nice day visiting and a super lunch at The Olive Garden.


Shopping for Sugar Plum Fairy is something that could cost a small fortune if I let it...EVERYTHING is so stinkin' cute for 6 year old girls! She chose Chili's for lunch because she likes their Mac and Cheese...Kraft Mac and Cheese...that I can make at home...that she adores!




Lollipop Pop and I just went shopping a few days ago and what fun! We splurged and went to a "big city". Going into high school is quite stressful (for mom as well as daughter) and getting some cute clothes will help, right? We had success, but oh my goodness, is there a whole bunch of inappropriate clothing out there for young ladies! Seriously, why would parents allow their girls to dress like that? Anyway, we had plans to eat at The Elephant Bar, when she saw The Cheesecake Factory and asked if we could change our minds...absolutely. Neither of us had ever eaten there before and what a treat it was! We both had a yummy pizza and gorgeous salad before partaking in a cheesecake masterpiece! She had a peanut butter cup concoction and I settled on a chocolate one. Boy, oh boy, were they fantastic!






The other thing I had to do before school started was get back to my weekly menu planning and grocery shopping. With the various activities we are involved in, it is critical for me. During the school week, I try and have dinner at 6:00 every night...that gives us time to visit as a family before the rush of bedtime for Sugar Plum Fairy begins. Many times, with various practices and meetings, this time is tweaked a bit. If I have planned dinner ahead of time, everything runs smoothly. If I have meetings after school or in the evening, the crock pot saves me. I planned for lunches, as both Shaggy and Lollipop Pop will take theirs this year. After school snacks are vital for survival as well....mine. The kids will attack if there is not food available for their ravenous bodies. I also make breakfast for them...knowing ahead of time what we will have saves time and money. I have made my baking mix for pancakes and waffles...








I have made a double batch of Baked Oatmeal for the freezer...




And Granola...







Hmmmm...as I am reading this post, I have discovered that getting ready for school seems to revolve around food!


So the question remains...am I ready?


In all things practical, yes.


All things emotional...no quite.

6 comments:

Twisted Fencepost said...

Sounds like you've got it all under control, well....except for the emotional thing.
But may I suggest....after they are all off to school tomorrow morning....grab a beverage of choice and soak in a nice hot bubble bath.
That should help with the emotional thing. Atleast I hope so!
Good luck. BTW, my youngest will be starting tomorrow, too. And hish school at that. **sigh**

Twisted Fencepost said...

"high" school.

Denice said...

My thoughts are with you as another year ends and a new one begins...the time passes too quickly..Cheesecake Factory is my second fav eating establishment after Red Robin.....yes..i said Red Robin YUUUUUMMMM!!!!

Tipper said...

School started here today. I like your tradition of taking them out to eat-neat : )

klutzymama said...

LOVE the Cheesecake Factory! And yes, I have to agree, it's very hard to find clothing in the stores that you will actually allow your kid to wear!

Melinda said...

I love that tradition - especially when it involves chocolate cheesecake! :)