Tuesday, May 10, 2011

A Mish Mosh

I have been running since Lollipop Pop's birthday, which was 3 days before Easter this year. The spring is always busy around here and this year has been no exception. But, last night, I felt a wave of relief come over me after I delivered 51 fair entries from the projects I am in charge of to the fairgrounds.

Lollipop Pop requested Strawberry Shortcake for her birthday cake because she had given up chocolate for Lent and her birthday fell a few days shy of Easter...



We prepared Easter Baskets for the children in the Battered Women's Shelter. This 4-H Project always is bitter sweet. I love seeing the joy written all over a receiving child's face from something so simple, but I am so sad that there is such a need.


The girls decorated Easter eggs and we even used our own home grown ones! I love being able to say that!



Sugar Plum Fairy hunted the eggs that the Easter Bunny hid...all but one, which we still have not located...A letter to the Easter Bunny has been written for assistance, but we have yet to hear back.




With the coming of Easter, chocolate again entered Lollipop Pop's world and she welcomed it eagerly.


Shaggy has participated in two 4-H Rifle Shooting matches during the past two weeks. He placed first in one competition and we will discover the results tomorrow for the second one.



(He's the long legged one in the black shirt)

I was one of the people in charge of organizing an annual chicken dinner that has been occurring at the girls' school for more that 60 years! It is a lot of work in one day, but so rewarding to hear stories from people who have attended most of them! I even discovered that the mom of my best friend from 5th grade through high school attended the school! It was a lot of fun catching up with her! The head cook for this dinner has been cooking for more that 50 years himself! We served over 200 people in 3 1/2 hours!





I was able to join Sugar Plum Fairy's class on a field trip to a nearby farm. The kids get to see old farm equipment and go on a wagon ride. They were able to see a barn owl taking a nap in the tree, pump water the old fashioned way and churn butter. Playing with and feeding the goats was a hit with them as well.










Lollipop Pop's 8th Grade Graduation Trip was a blast. Now, I have been to California Adventure and Disneyland before, but I have never done more in a shorter period of time! I was POOPED when we got home. In addition, the temps were approaching 90*. The kids were able to ride the Scream Roller coaster numerous times...


...and I even got to go on the Tower of Terror! I LOVED IT!!!! We were able to freshen up a bit at the hotel before having dinner at Medieval Times. I had never been previously and was pleased. Nothing like eating with your fingers while horses are running and knights are fighting. We were to cheer for the Green Knight (who looks EXACTLY like a man in our grocery store), although I think he wasn't a very nice knight.


The stay in the hotel was uneventful which is always a good thing when travelling with a bunch of teenagers. We spent a few hours in Disneyland the following day and the kids were able to ride everything they wanted to before heading home.


(In front of Alice in Wonderland...THAT is the reason the photo appears to be on its side...)




This group of kids is truly remarkable. They are all respectful, well mannered, funny and bright. It was an exhausting pleasure.


Throw in the regular baseball games 2 nights a week, laundry, preparing for the local fair, an anniversary and Mother's Day, it is no wonder the past 2 weeks has been nuts around here!

3 comments:

Farmchick said...

I don't know how you have managed!! May is such a crazy time for us as well, but not quite this bad!

klutzymama said...

I think May must be crazy for everyone. I think our school tries to cram as many activities as possible in the last month of school so that no one has to do any learning. :)
I don't know about you, but I am really looking forward to summer break!

Twisted Fencepost said...

Wow! Have you been busy!!!
I wonder if a critter found that Easter egg and ran off with it to show his friends????LOL