Friday, April 8, 2011

Not Suprising...



Since I have shown you my pantry and recipe box, it should come to no surprise that my jewelery was not organized...AT ALL!



Now mind you, most of this jumbled mess is costume jewelry and my few good pieces are elsewhere. However, this houses my earrings, necklaces, bracelets and rings...most of which I can never locate what I want.

Wonder why.


I needed to do something, but did not want to pay for one of the jewelry tree thingies I have seen in the stores. I decided I might be able to make one of my own. We have abundant branches, so I set out to locate the perfect ones and painted them with Rustoleum's Hammered Paint in Aged Copper. I then found a metal vase for $2.90 and bought a bucket of this...





I checked the height I needed the branches to end up and filled the vase with cement to that point and let it dry.


I then mixed the rest of the the cement right in the vase (I ended up using it all). I smoothed the mixture and tapped the entire thing on the ground several times to get rid of any air bubbles...when doing this step, don't place your face directly over the top...seems that air bubbles in cement spit and are partial to foreheads and cheeks...just sayin'.


I then placed the branches in the cement and held them upright with tape.


It really did not take much time for the cement to set, so work quickly. After everything was dry and hardened, I placed some leftover glass marbles and rocks over the cement and began decorating the tree.



In doing this, I also threw away single earrings and broken items. I really like this and it fits the massive mirror area in my bathroom nicely. I am wearing things that I had forgotten I owned.


Yeah!



I am linking up to Beth's Fabulous Tutorials and Tips

3 comments:

klutzymama said...

You are so creative! That is adorable.

Michelle said...

That looks so good!!! I love it!

Twisted Fencepost said...

How cute is that!!!