Monday, April 25, 2011

My Take on Perfection

Actually the words come from a book I just finished...The Bucolic Plague.



Josh is at a garden party at Martha Stewart's home and is comparing her "Marthaism" to his farm, The Beekman.





"The problem with perfection, I realized , is that it leaves others with nothing to do but search for flaws. In the Beekman garden, which had been sorely neglected lately, guests can wander and admire the plants and occasionally pull a weed or two. It made them feel useful, helpful, a part of a bigger picture. If the portrait was already completely painted, then there would be nothing left to do other than pick it apart. Just as most of the other guests at Martha's party were doing."





This rings so very true to me...and Martha scares me a bit.

4 comments:

Becky said...

"The problem with perfection, I realized , is that it leaves others with nothing to do but search for flaws"

Love this! Great food for thought. :)

klutzymama said...

Yes, Martha is quite scary.

Twisted Fencepost said...

I totally agree!!!

Tipper said...

Well maybe I should have my own weed party : ) Neat post!