Thursday, February 3, 2011

Letting Go...At Least a Bit.

From the time Shaggy was knee high to a grasshopper, he has wanted to race cars...NASCAR style...seriously. We catered to his love of Jeff Gordon for years with memorabilia and tried to explain that only a minuscule percentage of the population could make a living racing cars while trying not to shoot down his dream completely. As he grew up, he talked about wanting to build race cars. Again, I was not sure this was a career path that would be feasible and I found myself poo pooing the idea and secretly hoping he would forget about it. I would not be a very responsible mother if I let him be involved in something so dangerous and expensive...I would be much happier and sane if he would just be an accountant or doctor or teacher! Not too long ago, a couple things dawned on me. First, it was not my place to pick and choose my son's path. I am here to guide him, support him and love him unconditionally. Secondly, and more importantly he should choose the path that makes him happy. About the time I came to my senses, Shaggy and his Dad were asked to be involved in a new Off Road Racing Team. Over the course of a year, the initial racing truck has been replaced with a car...that Shaggy got to help BUILD! He is a part of the pit crew this weekend. Now mind you, I am still worried and concerned...this is a dangerous sport, but I feel confident with the people he is surrounded with and safety is their number one priority. I don't know if this will pan out to be anything more than a fun hobby, but once I gave up what I thought was in my control,this door opened allowing Shaggy to follow his dream.

GO #1572!
I'm also linking with Erin here.
Photobucket

9 comments:

Mrs. Dunbar said...

Oh my, that has got to be so hard; learning to let go and let God. I am not really looking forward to that aspect of parenting. But atleast your son is doing something with your husband, making great memories. Good luck with this and that last picture is pretty awesome.

Tracey said...

Ah, I need this reminder that God is the one who should direct their path, since He loves them even more than I do. Sounds like you are handling this very well!!

Bobbi said...

Wow, you have such a humble and loving heart. Thank you for the encouragement to allow God to direct my children... May my influence be strongly seasoned with HIS Word and ways! I'll still be praying for your son's safety though! Smiles!!

Tiffini said...

LOVE this post! your words are truth words...it isn't our place to choose for them it is to guide pray and help them see the path God has for them
xo:)

Jen said...

I just had a revelation about this last night as I was writing my post -- I need to let go and let them live their lives, to not try to live vicariously through them.

Farmchick said...

Really a wonderful post.

It's Grace said...

I am going through a lot of this, too. Grace wants to be a doctor and do the Doctors Without Borders program in Africa. Africa! And then Luke says he wants to stay home and live with Mama and Daddy forever.

I understand your fears and worries, I really do. It's exciting to watch our kids dream and spread their wings, but it's also so very hard on us mama's.

Are you going to go watch the race this weekend? And also, does Shaggy like the movie Cars? I know he's a little older, but you know boys and their cars :)

Thanks for linking up, Jen, so good to have you!! I'm sorry I didn't get back sooner, Luke was home sick today and he needed his Mama.

:)Erin

Sandy Addison said...

Good on you Jen. My husband and I quite often have this discussion what if the kids want to do something we are not quite sure about - that is where letting go and trusting come in. So far we have thoughts of a vet, inventor and a rockstar farmer on our hands at the moment

Twisted Fencepost said...

I know how hard it is, especially for boys. They seem to be drawn toward the dangerous things. It's a never ending cycle for Mother's and sons. We just have to turn loose and put them in God's hands. Then be their biggest fan!