Thursday, February 17, 2011

I Wonder...

I wonder what our children will think of me when they are grown and on their own. I know that both of our teenagers vacillate between thinking I am "the best Mommy EVER" to "wondering what century I am from".

I wonder if they will realize that they know how to do their own laundry properly, which pots and pans need to be hand washed to keep from wearing out or what utensil to use in a nonstick skillet. Will they be happy when they go to college or have their first apartment that they know how to make a healthy breakfast or be able to whip up dinner for friends? Will they remember the times that their Dad or I did one of their chores on the sly for them when they were bogged down with homework or practice? When I am folding a load of laundry or emptying the dishwasher for one or the other, I generally have made a conscious decision to do so. Being a teenager has always been difficult...the changing bodies & hormones, the stress of school, the pressure to do well, finding where to fit in and sometimes the drama of old and new friendships are the ingredients for disaster without aid.

I wonder if our helping them with a chore every now and then will help them help others.

I wonder.

I am also linking with my friend Erin for her Mama's Heart Link. It is a nice place...check it out if you have a chance.

9 comments:

Jen said...

Oh, I so wonder, too. I hope and trust and pray every day that they will take with them the good and that God will redeem the bad. Blessings!

Amy Sullivan said...

So glad to meet you through the link-up!

Oh, I wonder and worry (much too often I must confess!). . .will they remember?

klutzymama said...

I love this post Jen. I wonder about the same things.

It's Grace said...

This was so sweet, Jen. And you really have an understanding for what kids go through, so I think your kids are extra blessed. It can be hard to reconnect our minds and put ourselves in our kids' shoes.

I think the blessings you're talking about make a huge blessing. I think your kids will do great because they have such a great Mom and Dad.

Thank you so much for linking up and sharing your beautiful heart.

Erin

Farmchick said...

My son is turning 14 next month and seeing him growing up so fast makes me wonder all of these things and more. Especially lately.

Tracey said...

May your children "rise up and call you blessed" and make all your "wondering" disappear one day!

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

What a wonderfully sweet post!! Was a joy to read.

Emie Kay said...

Though I don't know you well, everything I do know says you are one of the most kind, creative, conscientious, loving, engaged moms I've ever known. Your children truly are blessed and I have no doubt they will grow up continually uncovering just how amazing you are for them. And when they have kids of their own, they may even come kiss your feet!!! :-)

Tipper said...

Wonderful post! And it seems this year-I've been wondering those same thoughts more than ever before. Teenagers : ) or should I say 2 teenagers girls new to high school : )